Monday, July 13, 2015

25 Lessons I've Learned from OASC Summer Workshop

For the past three summers, I've attended OASC Summer Workshop at Wright State University. I discovered OASC, the Ohio Association of Student Councils, through my high school's student government. Without a doubt, I can say that this organization has molded me into the leader and person I am today. Here are some lessons I learned last week when I attended Senior High II from July 5-9. The wisdom I gain from this camp combined with the group of absolutely amazing people who attend are the reasons why I workshop. #whyiworkshop

1. Team work makes the dream work.
2. Take time to self-reflect.
3. A goal will never be achieved without measurable objectives.
4. Don't get caught up in the routine of life.
5. Be open to feedback and suggestions.
6. The best leaders lead by example.
7. Take time to process after an event. Figure out what went well and what needs to be improved upon for next time.
8.  Stay hydrated.
9. Sometimes as a leader, it’s necessary to step back and let someone else take charge.
10. Be more observant.
11. Brevity is a necessity.  Be concise and effective with your words.
12. Sometimes you need to give people a nudge in the right direction.
13. “The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of because words diminish them.” –Different Seasons by Stephen King
14. Make sure you're listening, not just hearing.
15. Smile.
16. When delegating a task, be specific.
17. Remove killer phrases from your vocabulary like “We've tried that before” or “We don't have time” and replace them with igniter phrases like “You're on the right track” or “I have faith in you”.
18. Give out genuine compliments like candy.
19. Don’t underestimate the power of nonverbal communication.
20. Never bottle up your feelings.
21. “Communication is a skill that you learn. It’s like riding a bicycle or typing. If you’re willing to work at it, you can rapidly improve the quality of every part of your life.” –Brian Tracy
22. An effective way of communicating your emotions is by saying, “When you ______________ I feel ____________ because _____________.
23. Be someone’s shoulder to cry on.
24. Sometimes the silent ones have the most to say.
25. “Tomorrow is a new day. You will find your own way. You’ll be stronger with each day that you cry. Then you’ll learn to fly.” –‘Learn to Fly’ by Shannon Noll 







No comments:

Post a Comment