Monday, January 2, 2017

Arctic Dash 5k



On December 3, my friend Kira and I took the plunge and competed in a muddy obstacle filled 3.5 mile race. Camp Kern's Arctic Dash definitely challenged me physically and mentally.

I did not know what I was getting myself into initially. I have run a few 5k races so I had an assumption of the challenge level I would face. But after the first obstacle, I knew I had a big storm.

We all had to walk across a log elevated over a pit of frigid water and mud. I thought I would try to get it done as fast as possible by walking quickly across. I slipped right off the log, but instead of falling in, I attempted to hang on. I latched on like a spider monkey for a few seconds, then fell into the icey mud water. It was a sensory shock. It didn't get much easier from there.

We finished with a time of 1 hour 13 minutes and placed 159/293. I'm not sure if I would do another race similar to this, but it was a great bonding opportunity for Kira and me.







No comments:

Post a Comment